Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beginnings

After a crazy week of moving out of my place, putting stuff in storage, packing, and saying goodbyes I'm finally leaving!

First things first, I'll give you some background on the blog:

I picked the name "Beyond Seattle" because this is the first time I can remember being away from Seattle for more than a few weeks. I'm venturing out into the unknown, beyond my small comfort zone of Washington state. I have been away from Seattle for longer periods of time, but it was when I was young and don't really remember. I've never been outside of North America.

The background is a railroad bridge because I will be taking trains almost everywhere I go. I have a Eurail Global Pass, which allows me to ride on almost any railroad in Europe for free (or a very small reservation supplement) for 3 months. It also lets me ride on some ships and buses for free too, and get discounts on other stuff. Pretty sweet deal.

Now to the more interesting travel plans. Right now I'm on my netbook in the SeaTac Airport waiting for my flight to board. For those of you who don't know, I'm flying into Helsinki, Finland. I have layovers in Chicago and Copenhagen. Once I get to Helsinki, I'll be staying in a hostel that is inside of the Olympic Stadium there. It will be my first hostel experience, and I'm pretty excited. After two days, I'll be taking a boat over to Tallinn, Estonia and visiting my friend Chris Raastad. From there, everything is up in the air right now.

Anyways, I'll post some pictures when I have them.

-Josh

2 comments: