Monday, October 3, 2011

Prague/Praha/Australia

Seriously, I'm starting to think I'm in Australia. If all of the Australians are here in Europe, then who is in actual Australia? The only place in Europe I think they don't go is Scandinavia because its too cold for them.

Anyways, just an update on my adventures...

Tuesday night in Berlin I went to this area called the warehouse district with some friends I met (a German girl and an American girl from my hostel and a Aussie/English couple). It was really interesting to see so many bars with different characters in such a small area. The walls of all the buildings were lined with graffiti like something you would see in a movie. One of the bars had a foosball table and I played with the local Berliners, winning as usual ;) At the end of the night we went to an awesome underground techno club (an integral part of the Berlin experience, the city is known for its techno music) and danced the night away.

On Wednesday I explored more of the city and then hopped on a train bound for Praha. I was exhausted by the time I got there so I watched "Green Street Hooligans" and then chilled out and went to bed. If you don't know, hooligans are members of rather violent groups called firms associated with football (soccer) teams in Europe. After the games they normally have bloody fights with memebers of other firms which are sometimes broken up by the police. Rather silly if you ask me, but its a big thing here in Europe. 

Thursday I explored the city center of Prague and then went to a hockey game with some Canadians from the hostel. It was the New York Rangers versus the local team, the Spartans. Although I was secretly rooting for the Rangers, I had to keep pretty quiet to avoid getting mobbed. The guys from the hostel told me that when Prague lost in football the week before there were explosions and very angry fans. Anticipating the worst, we left the game early, seeing as the Rangers were winning 2 to 0 and I was American.

Friday I started the day by going to the Prague Castle. I was walking around the castle and ended up opening a door that led into a passageway. At the other end of the passageway was also another door which was also open. It led straight into the main cathedral, which was magnificent. The cathedral housed the tombs of many Christian martyrs from as early as the 11th century, but the present cathedral wasn't completed until sometime in the early 1900s. I read somewhere that the Prague Castle is the largest castle in the world according to the Guiness Book of World Records. On my way out, I realized that there was another entrance where they were charging people to come into the cathedral, and then it struck me that I had just snuck into the largest castle in the world through a dark passage without paying :) Anyways, here are some photos of the cathedral:





Friday evening I wandered around and talked to some of the students working at the tourist attractions. They were dressed in these silly "traditional Czech" costumes which were obviously pretty low budget. One of them almost beheaded me with her sword:


I took some photos of the Charles Bridge and Prague Castle which came out pretty well too.



Next post: my adventures at Oktoberfest and in Bavaria

No comments:

Post a Comment